You can customize most of controls used in Play Mode here. To customize, simply click on the column under Assignment next to the command you want to change, then type the key or click the mouse button that you wish to control that function. Backspace will remove the assigned key. It's possible to assign two keys to the same command.
Additional options on this screen allow you to enable support for XInput devices/game controllers and associated vibration effects.
Here you can configure sound and music volumes for the Play Mode, specify the OpenAL device you want to use, and enable special environmental audio effects (e.g. reverb inside tunnels).
Options related to the visual presentation of NoLimits 2 are available here. They include:
- The option to run NoLimits 2 in Fullscreen mode or Window Mode (check the box for Fullscreen).
- Fullscreen Resolution settings to configure the display resolution for NoLimits 2.
- Aspect Ratio specifies the aspect ratio of the screen resolution.
- The option to enable/disable Triple Buffering of the frame buffer.
- Vertical Sync locks the refresh rates to ones supported by the graphics card and display to prevent tearing effects.
- Limit Framerate will cap the maximum framerate that NoLimits 2 is allowed to run at.
- Fullscene Anti-aliasing enables multiple levels of anti-aliasing. Note that a trade-off in performance occurs when this quality setting is enabled and increased.
- Font smoothing options help text appear sharper on LCD displays.
The settings on the Detail Tab control detail levels for various aspects of the engine. Increasing various settings will improve graphic detail. Lowering various settings will improve performance.
- LOD Distance specifies at what distances the level of details will be shown. (Has big influence on performance)
- Texture Filter Quality specifies the quality of texture mipmaps. (Has medium influence on performance)
- Realtime Shadows specifies the quality of shadow effects. (Has big influence on performance)
- Background Texture specifies the quality of the textures used in the background. (Has low influence on performance)
- Background Detail specifies the quality of the geometry used in the background. (Has low influence on performance)
- Advanced Effects allow depth of field and Z-feather sprites effects. (Has big influence on performance)
- Units can be set for Imperial (feet, mph, etc.) or Metric (km/h, m).
- Day-Night-Cycle specifies how quickly the Simulator will cycle through day and night (affecting environments using dynamic skies).
- Use Current Time will set the in-engine time to the same time as your computer's clock (affecting environments using dynamic skies).
- Use Current Date will set the date to the same date as your computer is set to. This is used to determine how long the in-engine "sun" is up (affecting environments using dynamic skies).
- Use Custom Location will allow you to specify the Latitude and Longitude for the in-engine simulation to use as a location. The in-engine time and sun position will adjust to match that spot (affecting environments using dynamic skies).
- Automatically check for updates will check for available updates periodically when you start NoLimits 2. Keep this enabled to stay up-to-date!
- Screenshots with Best Level of Detail (LOD) will use better quality settings when creating screenshots. This will improve quality, but will make screenshots appear different than normal rendering.
Video Export Tab
These options control how NoLimits 2 handles video exporting.
- Preset - Choose from a selection of pre-set formats or choose custom to specify your own.
- Width and Height - These specify the output resolution.
- Pixel Aspect Ratio specifies the aspect ratio of each pixel.
- Frame Rate will specify the export frame rate.
- Interlacing allows you to choose between Interlaced or Progressive output.
- Format allows you to specify the file format of the exported video. MOV PNG is recommended for best quality versus file size.
- Output Folder allows you to specify the destination of exported video.
- Best Level of Detail (LOD) will use better quality settings when rendering video export frames. This will improve quality, but may be slower.
- Motion Blur effect - When enabled this adds a realistic motion blur to exported video. Note that this will take longer to process each frame. (Professional license only)
Picture Export Tab
- Output Folder allows you to specify the destination of screen shots.
- Poster Screenshot Size Multiplier changes the size of the exported poster sized image. Larger numbers create a larger resolution image. Note processing will take some time. (Professional license only)
- Poster Screenshot Quality Level - Higher numbers result in better quality. (Professional license only)
- Cube Screenshot Maximum Size specifies the maximum size of a cube screenshot. (Professional license only)
- Cube Screenshot Filter Passes specifies how many filter passes the cube screenshot will have. (Professional license only)
- Transparent Background Screenshots will ignore all terrain textures and backgrounds. In their place will be alpha channel for use in media production. (Professional license only)